Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The next few steps

The other day I wrote an entry called Being Unsettled. Today I feel a bit more settled. Let me give you a little background.

When we came to !nd!a back in May, we came on tourist visas. We got a multiple entry ten year visa, and on it we could stay for up to 180 days before we had to leave for just a day and then come back. In December the rules changed. We can still stay for 180 days, but now we have to leave for two months before we can come back. So since December we have all been thinking about what our plan with this is. The thing that had made the most sense was switching to a student visa. I began doing some research about universities here in !nd!a but was very discouraged because there is almost nothing on the internet. So, it seemed that this door was closing.

While I was gone in January, Stephen called and asked me what I thought about becoming a midwife. At the time I hadn't thought much about it, but I said I would talk with Dad about it. The more I talked to Him about it the more it seemed that this was the direction I was to go.

There is a big need for midwives in this area and especially out in the villages. I have a little bit of a medical background from being a C.N.A. (Certified Nurses Aid) for many years, and being a midwife is something that I think I would really enjoy. 

Now, let me tell you a bit about the midwifery training. The training I was looking into is called New Life International School of Midwifery. It is a two year training located in the Philippians and is specifically for m!ss!onar!es. There have been a couple other girls with HGM that have gone through this training and have said it is very good.

Stephen talked with our M director last week about some of the different options we each have. Eric thought my going to midwifery school was a great idea and gave me the go-ahead to apply to go in August. So, since last week I've known what the next step in my career here is. That isn't what I've been unsettled about. The part I've been unsettled about is the steps between here and there.

At first I thought I'd have to go back to the States to apply for a visa to the Philippians, but after doing a bit of research on New Life's website I found out that I really don't. Then I was thinking that maybe I'd go to Kosova to help my parents with their camp until August. But, after doing some more research I began thinking that it might be good to go back to the States in order to raise the funds that I'll need to attend the school. So, for the past week I've been going back and forth between these two options, pr@ying about it and trying to figure out which the best one was.

Today Stephen and Amber came to our house. We talked over what all our M Director had to say about each of our options. I asked them what they thought about the steps between here and there for me. We talked over it for a bit and finally decided that me going back to the States to raise the funds for New Life is the best option.

So, it looks like at the end of April (in time for Nomads) I will be going back to the States for a couple months. While I am home I need to raise about $10,000. This isn't the complete cost of the training, but includes the first semester, fees, books, supplies, and visa. After all the one time costs are paid, it'll only be $4725 for each of the three following semesters (about $1200 per month). If you would like to see the complete list of what all this covers or you would like to know more about New Life, feel free to visit the website!

I am really excited about this next step and about what Dad will be teaching me through it. If you would like to have me share with your ch-rch or small group about my time here, the midwifery training, and how this pertains to our future work here in !nd!a, please send me an email. I look forward to telling you more about this with you in person!!

No comments: